`
  Loading... Please wait...

Using Disinfectants Correctly

Posted by

The recent virus outbreak at St. Charles East High School points out how important it is to have effective cleaning routines.

Unfortunately, I saw on two different newscasts employees spraying and wiping with no dwelVirusl time.  For a disinfectant or sanitizer to work, it must sit on the surface for a specified amount of time to effectively kill bacteria and viruses.

Chlorine bleach, which many facilities use, and in some cases overuse based on the smell and discoloration of their surfaces and furniture, must remain wet on the surface being cleaned from 1-5 minutes in order to be an effective sanitizer.

(For more information on the differences between cleaners, disinfectants and sanitizers, see this previous blog article: https://www.durawax.com/blog/cleaners-vs-sanitizers-vs-disinfectants/)

What is MOST important is the read the labels on the product to see how long it must sit wet on the surface to be effective and then establish a routine to allow that product to work before moving on.

For example, in a school you may want to spray the surface of all the desks, move to the next room, spray those desks and then return to the first room to wipe.  Thus giving the product time to work.

Not following the mix ratios and dwell times listed on a product, even if doing general cleaning, will prove ineffective. More times than not claims of a product "not working" are not because the product is faulty, but because the person using the product is not using it correctly.

We Fight Dirty!... and help you disinfect too!

https://www.durawax.com/disinfectants-and-sanitizers/